This project will deliver an analysis of the barriers that prevent women in Kenya taking leadership roles in sanitation (particularly urban), and aim to identify ways in which those barriers might be overcome. This project aims to assess 1) the gender balance in decision-making/technical roles in Kenya’s sanitation-relevant public institutions, 2) the barriers to female participation in those roles, 3) how attitudes to urban sanitation vary between male and female decision-makers, and 4) how existing barriers might be overcome.
- Research Call (now closed): February 2019
- UNC Water & Health Conference poster, initial mapping exercise: August 2019
- Literature review: August 2019
- Policy Brief: February 2020 – Women working in sanitation in Kenya: Evidence gaps
- Policy Brief: February 2020 – Gender representation in Kenyan sanitation institutions