To understand the attitudes of Bangladeshi decision-makers and citizens on urban freshwater pollution and contribute to the development of an effective and politically viable regulatory model for discharge of faecal sludge and industrial pollutants.
Recommendations for Policy Makers:
- Adopt a collaborative management approach that embraces new or more effective modes of interaction amongst different stakeholders, with clearly defined roles and responsibilities and a dedicated coordinating mechanism
- Establish streamlined procedures for the implementation, monitoring and enforcement of policies and regulations of industrial water pollution
- Invest in wastewater infrastructure and capacity in order to ensure better wastewater management and treatment
- Work with international buyers to ensure the adoption of global standards and best practices for wastewater treatment
- Raise awareness, build a sense of collective responsibility, and ensure strong political will and leadership about the impacts of water pollution